Skip to main content

The Great Lakes Tour - Part 2

 On my last post I shared about the first leg of our 2018 family trip. We affectionately dubbed the adventure our "Great Lakes Tour" because the plan was to visit all five Great Lakes in a single trip. After two days, we had visited our first lake - Michigan. In actuality, we also visited Lake Huron because that is the lake that Mackinac Island is on and Mackinac Bridge stretches over the Straits of Mackinac that are the convergence of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. See...you're getting a geography lesson here too!

However, I wanted to count each lake by taking photos of them from shores that I had not visited yet, or in the case of Lake Michigan, that I rarely ever visit. So Lake Michigan's photo was taken on its northern shore from the Upper Peninsula. Let's continue on with our journey, though, shall we?

Day 3: Leave St. Ignace and head north to Tahquamenon Falls State Park. For me growing up, these were the most amazing waterfalls ever. Whenever anyone would talk about Niagara, I would say, "Yeah, but have you ever been to Tahquamenon?". Again, more of that Michigan pride. But when you are from a state as magnificent as this, there should be some pride. Tahquamenon is beautiful and I loved sharing it with Maria and Ben...and the bison burger at the restaurant there was so delicious too!

After the falls, we travelled further north to Sault Ste. Marie where we crossed the border into Canada! Then we headed even further north to a small little motel outside of Searchmont, Ontario. I chose this motel because there was an actual converted train caboose that they rented out as a cabin. It looked so cool! Of course, my teens were not impressed. Especially because there was, *gasp*, no internet! It was out in the middle of the wilderness and it was very serene.  


Day 4: We travelled north again for a day trip to Pancake Bay Provincial Park. At that point in my life, that was the furthest north I had ever been, and it was the first time I saw Lake Superior from any shore other than Michigan. It was, of course, magnificent! So, if you'll recall from my last post, I mentioned that my heart goes pitter-patter for another Great Lake besides Michigan. Well, the one that is in the top spot on my list will always be LAKE SUPERIOR! The great Gitche Gumee! (Check out this quick read for history on this name: https://www.lakesuperior.com/the-lake/lake-superior/281almanac/) Since I was a kid, I remember being in awe of this massive body of water, and that awe has not receded as an adult. It was a pure rush to stand on the eastern shore of Lake Superior and take in all of its grandeur! 
Aaannnndddd...we checked off Great Lake #2 on our tour!



After a few hours north, we travelled back down to Sault Ste. Marie and crossed back over into Michigan to visit the Soo Locks. It is always a pretty neat thing to watch massive ships pass through the locks and to see them either dropped down to the level of the St. Mary's River or raised up to the level of Lake Superior. 



And for now, another leg of our journey was drawing to a close as we crossed back over into Canada and returned to our snug little caboose in the woods. 

Stay tuned for the third and final chapter of this great vacation to see if we can possibly cram three more Great Lakes into this tour and reach our goal!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Lakes Tour - Part 1

 In 2018 I planned the trip of a lifetime. Ok, well, kinda. For me, it was a pretty cool trip. For Maria, not so much. But regardless, Maria, Ben, and I headed out on the road in mid-May. The plan was to visit each of the five Great Lakes in one trip. This was especially exciting for me because I had never seen Lake Ontario...AND we were going to visit Niagara Falls in the process...somewhere else I had never visited before.  So, I guess I should probably preface this post by explaining that I am a Michigander by birth. I was born and raised in southwest Michigan and most of my family trips as a kid involved somewhere in the gorgeous state. But even more than that, we Michiganders have an abundance of state pride. And part of state pride is pride of the Great Lakes. I mean, we are the Great Lake state, after all.  My kids, however, are Hoosiers through and through. Even though all of my kiddos were born in Michigan except Ben, they were all raised in Indiana (well, except...

Great Lakes Tour - Part 3

Welcome back to the final leg of our Great Lakes tour of 2018!  It has been such a blast to share these great vacation memories with everyone but I do have a disclaimer to add to this trip, and I probably should have included it in the other two posts as well. I may have cast Maria in a less than agreeable light during this trip. However, there was a good reason for it, even though at that time I only had slight suspicions. Maria was about two months pregnant with Giovanni at this time and was not feeling well at all, but was also trying to not let on about her "condition". So, with hindsight, I understand her crankiness. A side note to that disclaimer is that Ben is not mad in all of the pictures, he just tries intentionally to not smile in any picture. But no matter what, I still really enjoyed being able to take such a memorable trip with both of my youngest babies! So, lets wrap this trip up, shall we? Day 5: We packed up and began heading south through Ontario towards Ni...

What am I doing with my life?!

Here's a quick little update for those who have been asking about what's going on in my life: I moved back home to Michigan at the end of December, 2020. The plan was to beworking for a brand-new nonprofit that was going to be making temporary, movable medical stations for underserved communities around the world. One of the parts that made this extra exciting was that the first community was in Oaxaca, Mexico. This meant I was hired because of my nonprofit expertise AND my bilingual skills - SCORE! Plus, it was flat-out stated in my interview that I would be working from Mexico at times -DOUBLE SCORE! Well, since then, life happened. The boss has had several life-threatening health scares and is now likely never to return to work. This means that the nonprofit (his pet project) is indefinitely on the shelf, so to speak. He also owns a big exterior sign company and our office was within this business so I was offered a position as a project coordinator as a means of...well, pay...