Skip to main content

Exciting changes are in the air!

A while ago, my youngest son, Ben, asked me a question: if money wasn't an issue and I could do anything at all for a job, what would I do? Surprisingly, I fairly quickly answered "write". I love writing...I know I've said that before on this blog. I have tons of journals with random entries and writings that I have collected over the years and I have started several books. I've never gotten very far with them because I get distracted by life. You know, being a mom, a wife, an employee, a pastor, a volunteer, a daughter, a grandma, and the list goes on. 

In November, my life changed dramatically when I quit my job and moved to Michigan by myself. All the kiddos are big kids now and I had a yearning desire to be away from my adopted city and back home to my native land. Now I have a cute little apartment and a little bit more free time. This means I have time to actually concentrate on writing! 

So, I decided that my new years resolution would be (even though I don't really do those) to finish my first book by the end of the year. Since I have several already started, I was already on my way. But then I realized that while accomplishing this will be great, I wanted more. My job here in Michigan is experiencing some difficulties because of health related issues for my boss so when I began job searching, I started looking for a job that would utilize my writing abilities, among other positions. 

Then I realized that I was going about this all wrong. I needed to step out of my comfort zone even more and just jump into the arena of freelance writing. I began researching options, collecting websites and blogs that welcomed guest posters, and working on my sample writings. On Friday, I created a new business email, a Facebook page, and a Twitter account.

The idea here is to be able to write about things I am passionate about and things I have experience in. So what does that mean? Well, it means I will be writing about parenting (or life as a parent/grandparent), travel, business and nonprofit life, and more. It means that while I am still working diligently on my book(s), I am also able to write about other things that interest me. 

I am so excited about this and I hope that you are too! Let me know what you think about my blog posts, follow me on social media, and spread the word that I am available for hire as a freelance writer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Lakes Tour - Part 3

Welcome back to the final leg of our Great Lakes tour of 2018!  It has been such a blast to share these great vacation memories with everyone but I do have a disclaimer to add to this trip, and I probably should have included it in the other two posts as well. I may have cast Maria in a less than agreeable light during this trip. However, there was a good reason for it, even though at that time I only had slight suspicions. Maria was about two months pregnant with Giovanni at this time and was not feeling well at all, but was also trying to not let on about her "condition". So, with hindsight, I understand her crankiness. A side note to that disclaimer is that Ben is not mad in all of the pictures, he just tries intentionally to not smile in any picture. But no matter what, I still really enjoyed being able to take such a memorable trip with both of my youngest babies! So, lets wrap this trip up, shall we? Day 5: We packed up and began heading south through Ontario towards Ni...

What am I doing with my life?!

Here's a quick little update for those who have been asking about what's going on in my life: I moved back home to Michigan at the end of December, 2020. The plan was to beworking for a brand-new nonprofit that was going to be making temporary, movable medical stations for underserved communities around the world. One of the parts that made this extra exciting was that the first community was in Oaxaca, Mexico. This meant I was hired because of my nonprofit expertise AND my bilingual skills - SCORE! Plus, it was flat-out stated in my interview that I would be working from Mexico at times -DOUBLE SCORE! Well, since then, life happened. The boss has had several life-threatening health scares and is now likely never to return to work. This means that the nonprofit (his pet project) is indefinitely on the shelf, so to speak. He also owns a big exterior sign company and our office was within this business so I was offered a position as a project coordinator as a means of...well, pay...

The Great Lakes Tour - Part 1

 In 2018 I planned the trip of a lifetime. Ok, well, kinda. For me, it was a pretty cool trip. For Maria, not so much. But regardless, Maria, Ben, and I headed out on the road in mid-May. The plan was to visit each of the five Great Lakes in one trip. This was especially exciting for me because I had never seen Lake Ontario...AND we were going to visit Niagara Falls in the process...somewhere else I had never visited before.  So, I guess I should probably preface this post by explaining that I am a Michigander by birth. I was born and raised in southwest Michigan and most of my family trips as a kid involved somewhere in the gorgeous state. But even more than that, we Michiganders have an abundance of state pride. And part of state pride is pride of the Great Lakes. I mean, we are the Great Lake state, after all.  My kids, however, are Hoosiers through and through. Even though all of my kiddos were born in Michigan except Ben, they were all raised in Indiana (well, except...