Skip to main content

All that to say...don't mess with my gas!

Last week, I read an article about how the big three oil companies all came under fire for their lack of action in the “climate battle”. It caught my attention because the night before I read the article, I noticed the prices at the local gas stations had gone up to over $3 a gallon! That was like a 30-cent jump in just a couple of days! When I first saw the higher prices, I thought maybe we were seeing the remnants of the effects of that cyber-attack on the Colonial pipeline or maybe the gas stations were just raising prices in anticipation of Memorial Day weekend.  

But then my cynical brain got to thinking otherwise. I began to wonder if the gas prices have anything to do with Exxon, Chevron, and Shell getting “mud on their face”, as Mr. Mercury so eloquently put it. It just seems a little more than coincidence that these big oil companies got “bullied” one day all over the media and the next day the prices at the pump drastically increase.  Of course, I am far from an economist or a business head honcho...so, what do I know?

Whose fault is it?
If we listen to the media, it's all Donald Trump's fault...or is it Joe Biden's fault? Well, that depends on who you ask. But is it really either person's fault? Or is it really just because of the long weekend or the cyber attack or the Big Three? Prices have been fluctuating up and down for a while now. This drastic jump was out of the ordinary but, again, can a holiday really play that big of a role in the cost of a gallon of gasoline? 

Supply & Demand

Amy Livingston writes about this issue in an article on moneycrashers.com. She explains that there are a number of factors that go into the price of gasoline. Ultimately, it comes down to supply and demand, essentially. Another article, by David Blackmon at forbes.com, intimates that the rapid de-quarantining of so many from the pandemic actually took the oil industry by surprise and caused one of those supply-and-demand fluctuations. If more people are out and about needing gas, then the cost will increase. If less people are out, the cost will decrease. So, ironically enough, it seems that the holiday weekend may just be enough to cause a significant rise in gas prices. 


All that to say...drive safe this summer, y'all! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Lakes Tour - Part 1

 In 2018 I planned the trip of a lifetime. Ok, well, kinda. For me, it was a pretty cool trip. For Maria, not so much. But regardless, Maria, Ben, and I headed out on the road in mid-May. The plan was to visit each of the five Great Lakes in one trip. This was especially exciting for me because I had never seen Lake Ontario...AND we were going to visit Niagara Falls in the process...somewhere else I had never visited before.  So, I guess I should probably preface this post by explaining that I am a Michigander by birth. I was born and raised in southwest Michigan and most of my family trips as a kid involved somewhere in the gorgeous state. But even more than that, we Michiganders have an abundance of state pride. And part of state pride is pride of the Great Lakes. I mean, we are the Great Lake state, after all.  My kids, however, are Hoosiers through and through. Even though all of my kiddos were born in Michigan except Ben, they were all raised in Indiana (well, except...

Great Lakes Tour - Part 3

Welcome back to the final leg of our Great Lakes tour of 2018!  It has been such a blast to share these great vacation memories with everyone but I do have a disclaimer to add to this trip, and I probably should have included it in the other two posts as well. I may have cast Maria in a less than agreeable light during this trip. However, there was a good reason for it, even though at that time I only had slight suspicions. Maria was about two months pregnant with Giovanni at this time and was not feeling well at all, but was also trying to not let on about her "condition". So, with hindsight, I understand her crankiness. A side note to that disclaimer is that Ben is not mad in all of the pictures, he just tries intentionally to not smile in any picture. But no matter what, I still really enjoyed being able to take such a memorable trip with both of my youngest babies! So, lets wrap this trip up, shall we? Day 5: We packed up and began heading south through Ontario towards Ni...

What am I doing with my life?!

Here's a quick little update for those who have been asking about what's going on in my life: I moved back home to Michigan at the end of December, 2020. The plan was to beworking for a brand-new nonprofit that was going to be making temporary, movable medical stations for underserved communities around the world. One of the parts that made this extra exciting was that the first community was in Oaxaca, Mexico. This meant I was hired because of my nonprofit expertise AND my bilingual skills - SCORE! Plus, it was flat-out stated in my interview that I would be working from Mexico at times -DOUBLE SCORE! Well, since then, life happened. The boss has had several life-threatening health scares and is now likely never to return to work. This means that the nonprofit (his pet project) is indefinitely on the shelf, so to speak. He also owns a big exterior sign company and our office was within this business so I was offered a position as a project coordinator as a means of...well, pay...