Skip to main content

Timely Reminders

Why is life so hard? I mean, seriously. I feel like I am constantly treading water just to keep my head above the waves. Where's the sand bar? Where's the calm waters even? Nowhere in sight. The one thing that keeps coming to mind is that I could not imagine going through my life without knowing that I have God to lean on. What would I do if I didn't have His unconditional love and understanding? Who would I turn to if I didn't know that He is my Comforter and my Friend? When I feel like I cannot take it anymore, which is fairly often, I simply fall to my knees and cry in the arms of my Heavenly Father. He reassures me that I am loved and that He is with me. He reassures me that all of my work and all of my heartache is not in vain. He reassures me.

The above was written and saved as a draft in February of 2016. God must have known that I would need some encouraging in August of 2018. And I smile because I am reminded of everything I endured in the remainder of 2016. That was by far one of the most difficult years of my life. That was the year that I said goodbye to my baby boy as he went off to accomplish his lifelong dream of being a soldier. That was the year that I more than over-extended myself to make sure that I would graduate with my BA. That was the year that our family took road trips to Colorado, South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia. That was the year that my aunt got her liver transplant...just in time! That was the year that my dad was in a horrible work accident that left him forever changed. 2016 was the year that my faith was tested more than it has ever been.

I have faced abuse, abandonment, betrayal, addictions of others, but none of that shook me as much as the events of 2016. Maybe it's because they all seemed to come at once, one after another. Maybe it's because I was already physically exhausted too. Maybe it's because my two biggest rocks, Josiah and my dad, suddenly became unavailable to me: Josiah was in army training (this was a good thing and I chose not to be a distraction to him) but then my dad laid in a hospital bed, even in a coma for part of the time. And even when he was out and home and even when I was visiting Josiah, the damage to my soul had already been done. I had already begun slipping down that slope of doubt, discouragement, frustration, fear.

But, you know what? I serve a greater God! When I was yelling at Him because of all that I had endured, He simply listened. When I was arguing with Him about what I should be doing, He simply explained my options. You see, He said "Rose, you're right. Life is hard sometimes and sometimes it feels like the blocks are stacked against you. But you have two choices right now: 1 - you can just walk away and do nothing 2- you can pursue this. If you choose 1, then that's that. But if you choose 2 and I do keep the door closed, then you really haven't lost anything either. But if I open the door, just think of all that awaits you."

I reminisce in all of this because I find myself again beginning to question so many things, and some of them are very similar to those in 2016. Just when I signed in here to write some vague, venting post (for the first time in like, what? three years?!), I see this draft just waiting for me. Thank you 2016 Rose for being obedient enough to type this for this much more awesome 2018 version of you. lol And thank you God for using this to remind me of who you are and who I am in you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Lakes Tour - Part 3

Welcome back to the final leg of our Great Lakes tour of 2018!  It has been such a blast to share these great vacation memories with everyone but I do have a disclaimer to add to this trip, and I probably should have included it in the other two posts as well. I may have cast Maria in a less than agreeable light during this trip. However, there was a good reason for it, even though at that time I only had slight suspicions. Maria was about two months pregnant with Giovanni at this time and was not feeling well at all, but was also trying to not let on about her "condition". So, with hindsight, I understand her crankiness. A side note to that disclaimer is that Ben is not mad in all of the pictures, he just tries intentionally to not smile in any picture. But no matter what, I still really enjoyed being able to take such a memorable trip with both of my youngest babies! So, lets wrap this trip up, shall we? Day 5: We packed up and began heading south through Ontario towards Ni...

What am I doing with my life?!

Here's a quick little update for those who have been asking about what's going on in my life: I moved back home to Michigan at the end of December, 2020. The plan was to beworking for a brand-new nonprofit that was going to be making temporary, movable medical stations for underserved communities around the world. One of the parts that made this extra exciting was that the first community was in Oaxaca, Mexico. This meant I was hired because of my nonprofit expertise AND my bilingual skills - SCORE! Plus, it was flat-out stated in my interview that I would be working from Mexico at times -DOUBLE SCORE! Well, since then, life happened. The boss has had several life-threatening health scares and is now likely never to return to work. This means that the nonprofit (his pet project) is indefinitely on the shelf, so to speak. He also owns a big exterior sign company and our office was within this business so I was offered a position as a project coordinator as a means of...well, pay...

The Great Lakes Tour - Part 1

 In 2018 I planned the trip of a lifetime. Ok, well, kinda. For me, it was a pretty cool trip. For Maria, not so much. But regardless, Maria, Ben, and I headed out on the road in mid-May. The plan was to visit each of the five Great Lakes in one trip. This was especially exciting for me because I had never seen Lake Ontario...AND we were going to visit Niagara Falls in the process...somewhere else I had never visited before.  So, I guess I should probably preface this post by explaining that I am a Michigander by birth. I was born and raised in southwest Michigan and most of my family trips as a kid involved somewhere in the gorgeous state. But even more than that, we Michiganders have an abundance of state pride. And part of state pride is pride of the Great Lakes. I mean, we are the Great Lake state, after all.  My kids, however, are Hoosiers through and through. Even though all of my kiddos were born in Michigan except Ben, they were all raised in Indiana (well, except...